Your BMW‘s ignition coils receive power from the vehicle’s battery and send it to the spark plugs. The coil plays a significant role in igniting the fuel and ensuring that your BMW can run efficiently. When the ignition coils fail, they may not be able to carry out this function properly, which will affect your BMW’s engine performance.
There are several reasons why your BMW’s ignition coils may fail. We shall highlight these reasons and tell you the telltale signs of failing ignition coils.
Likely Reasons for an Ignition Coil Failure
- Worn or damaged spark plugs: Worn-out spark plugs may force your BMW’s ignition coils to function beyond their design capacity to deliver the expected output. In addition, when spark plugs begin to wear, the gap in each plug widens, putting pressure on the ignition coils to close the gap by delivering much higher voltage. As a result, voltage overload may occur, leading to overheating. Over time, this may cause ignition coil failure. Therefore, it is advisable to check spark plugs to ensure they are in good working conditions.
- Vibrations: One common cause of BMW ignition coil failure is due to vibrations, causing damage to the insulation and windings of your ignition coils. It may also cause the secondary windings to experience short breaks, which may become extended over time, thus leading to overall ignition coil failure.
- Overheating: Your BMW’s ignition coils may become overheated due to excessive work output, and it may cause the coils to fail over time.
- Wear and tear of the ignition coils: When your BMW’s ignition coils become worn out, it may cause the insulation coils between the primary and secondary windings to degrade. As the insulation degrades, the coils become overheated and may eventually fail.
Signs of Failing BMW Ignition Coils
Here are some of the signs that your BMW’s ignition coils may be failing
- Poor fuel economy: One way to identify failing ignition coils may be increased fuel usage. Lower miles per gallon may also indicate failing ignition coils. Since reduced power gets to the spark plugs, your BMW may struggle to consume more fuel as compensation for the insufficient power it receives.
- Your BMW backfires: Does your BMW backfire? It may be an early sign that the ignition coil is failing. However, the primary cause may be attributed to an unused fuel emitted through the BMW’s exhaust system. Leaving the issue unchecked may damage your vehicle’s exhaust which may be expensive to repair.
- Your BMW stalls: One of the signs of failing BMW ignition coils is when you notice that your vehicle stalls. Failed ignition coils cause the spark plugs to produce irregular sparks to continue running. Your BMW may completely shut off when you bring it to a stop, thus forcing you to restart the vehicle.
- Difficulty in starting your vehicle: Your BMW has high tension leads running between the spark plugs and the distributor. Due to ignition coils failure, the spark plugs may not receive adequate power. When you experience difficulty starting your BMW, the ignition coils may be a potential cause. You may carry out a sample test on your BMW’s high tension leads to verify if a spark is transferred to each spark plug from the leads. For a more effective diagnosis and solution, consult our BMW specialists.
- Check Engine Light is on: If your BMW’s check engine light is on, a faulty ignition coil may be the culprit. However, it is advisable to contact a professional BMW technician to resolve the issue to prevent damage to other components.
- Coughing and Spluttering Sound: Coughing and spluttering sounds when you start your BMW’s engine may be due to ignition coils failure. The sounds are produced from a cylinder that does not fire during ignition.
- Vibration and Jerking: A failing ignition coil may cause your BMW to vibrate when the vehicle is stationary. As a result, your vehicle may jerk or hesitate when accelerating.
Let Paladin Automotive’s Experienced Mechanics Repair your BMW
Do you need professional automotive repair services? Contact Paladin Automotive for the best automotive repair services. We have experienced and certified BMW mechanics who proudly serve our clients in Summerlin, Spring Valley, and Las Vegas, NV.
We repair different vehicle brands, including Audi, Ferrari, Bentley, Land Rover, and BMW. In addition, we provide impeccable brake repair, engine repair, check engine light, and AC repair. Please call or visit our shop for your next service appointment.