Bentley is one of the world’s most sought-after and respected car brands. Not many vehicles share the exclusivity and customization of the Bentley brand. The British manufacturer is a manufacturer of elite, luxury cars and SUVs. While the Bentley remains a symbol of sophistication, it still suffers general malfunctions widely associated with most vehicles.
A Bentley’s transmission is a core component of the vehicle. Like in any car, your Bentley’s gear selector is critical to its overall functioning. You may sometimes experience problems that cause your gears to malfunction. When your Bentley refuses to go in reverse, it will likely get stuck wherever it is parked, and you will need professional help from auto experts to fix it.
The Implication of a Faulty Transmission
Your vehicle’s transmission is one area you must pay attention to because it is equally as important as your engine. Your transmission helps transfer the engine power to the wheels to move the vehicle.
A faulty transmission means that your Bentley would be unable to move. However, before the transmission fails, it will have given you some warning signs to indicate a growing problem. Discussed below are symptoms of a failing transmission system:
- Burning smell: The transmission requires the transmission fluid for adequate lubrication. Running on low or contaminated fluid could result in the transmission releasing a burning smell. If the problem is left unattended, it could also cause the engine to overheat and consequent transmission failure.
- Grinding gears: Engaging your gear is supposed to be a seamless process. If you encounter a grinding noise when trying to change gears, it indicates an issue with the transmission that needs urgent investigation.
- Slipping gears: Slipping gear while driving is frustrating and dangerous. While driving, you may notice that your engine is revving without changing gears. It is usually because the gears are not properly engaging or slipping out of sync.
- Your Bentley won’t engage: A delay when you try to shift your car into drive or reverse indicates an issue in your transmission.
Reasons Why Your Bentley Lag When Shifting Into Reverse Gear
The following reasons are why your Bentley won’t go in reverse:
- Low transmission fluid: Low transmission fluid is one of the main reasons your Bentley transmission may lag during reverse. A low transmission fluid problem can cause several issues with your gear, including overheated gears, shifting problems, and gear slippage. Similarly, your Bentley’s gear would suffer overheating if there is insufficient transmission fluid to lubricate the internal gears and keep the components cool.
- Strained valve body: Your Bentley transmission has a valve body that helps direct the flow of hydraulic fluids to the valve. This allows your vehicle to go smoothly and shift gears while reversing. Once your transmission valve body becomes strained, it leads to a lag when shifting gear, including when trying to switch into reverse gear. In some cases, you might not even get any response after shifting in reverse.
- Contaminated transmission fluid or filter: Your transmission fluid may get contaminated with ample deposits of dirt that may affect your Bentleys shifting into reverse. Changing your transmission fluid and filter is an easier and cheaper method to address this problem.
- Defective transmission position sensor: When you use the shift lever to shift an automatic transmission in your Bentley, an electronic sensor informs the powertrain control module of your command. If the sensor fails or malfunctions, your Bentley may be unable to shift into reverse. It may frequently put your vehicle in limp mode, preventing you from shifting above third gear.
- Faulty lockout ring manual: The lockout ring helps prevent you from accidentally shifting into reverse while your Bentley is moving forward. Once your lockout ring is faulty or misaligned, it can prevent you from shifting into reverse even while at a standstill.
- Cracked teeth on reverse gear: This is more common in manual transmission cars due to bad driving habits. It can also cause lag when shifting into reverse gear in your Bentley.
Paladin Automotive is at Your Service
If your Bentley is experiencing a delay when shifting into gear or refuses to engage, do not hesitate to bring it to Paladin Automotive. We service the greater Las Vegas areas including Spring Valley, Summerlin, and Las Vegas, NV.
Our services are affordable and reliable! We specialize in high-end luxury brands, including Bentley, Rolls Royce, Maserati, Porsche, and more. Our highly-trained and certified technicians will get your vehicle back on the road so you can drive with confidence!